Love was the last thing I was looking
for.
After all, I had been there, done that, and of that kind of pain
I have had more than my share.
and barely knowing me,
professed your love,
I brushed you off,
saying that it was simply
the sprites playing tricks on you.
After all, how could you love me
when you didn’t even know me?
Then, time over deceptive time,
you continued to whisper words of love and sweet nothings into my gullible ears.
Planting gentle kisses and beguiling hopes
on my hardened parched soul.
Then, over time, the shields I had so
bravely worn to protect my fragile heart
were unwillingly worn away
and revealed my hidden whole.
And then time over illusory time,
Like a stupid, idiotic fool That I was,
I embraced the last thing I wanted
which was to love you.
I forgot that I had so
precociously predicted, two winters ago,
that the sprites would
tire of their mischief and you
would wake up and
realise it was merely a dream.
I was so worried that
you would be hurt
that I forgot
about
Me.
And then, as I foresaw
the sprites did leaveand you woke up
and loved me no more.
And I was left bereft,
without even knowing what had happened
to change everything.
Was I too harsh
Was I too mean
Was I just too stupid
To not have foreseen
This Pain.
This deserved Punishment for sheer stupidity.
Was I too mean
Was I just too stupid
To not have foreseen
This Pain.
This deserved Punishment for sheer stupidity.
So here I squat,
sifting throughthe crushed, bone-dry leaves
of broken promises,
littering the cold stony floor,
looking for the scraps
of the shields I once wore
so I can assemble them again
and protect my heart
forever more.
No comments:
Post a Comment